Sean Paul Segura is not against the police, he is against police brutality. Sean Paul Segura believes most police are good people and knows most people in our communities are good people.
Some police are doing a great job and should be commended, other law enforcement officers largely due to misconceptions and poor training have a Police vs Community mentality especially in our lower income communities they are supposed to serve. Those police harass and detain people who have not committed a crime and utilize overly aggressive techniques, escalation, the use of force, including deadly force as first options instead of as last resorts when interacting with the community.
Sean Paul Segrua as Congressman will work to ensure steps are taken to retrain and address over aggressive policing so officers will be better equipped to not only dominate situations but have control of situations and of themselves.
Being a police officer should be a respected position of honor.
Respect must be earned and to be earned we must ensure police focus on:
• Compassion Integrity and respect
• The value of life
• De-escalation tactics
• True serve & protect mentality
• Sincere humbleness and caring
• Keeping the end goal of community servitude, safety of civilians, and commitment to civilians in mind
• Understanding the police are there to serve and be a part of the community not against it
• Maintaining composure and only becoming aggressive and escalating when necessary
• Halting the tactic of “hunting ” or “fishing” by illegally pulling over and detaining innocent people
A wise man said people fail to get along because they fear each other: they fear each other because they do not know each other. Police community initiatives where officers in lower income areas get to know the people they are serving and become one with the community not against the community is imperative so we can start to heal the broken relationship. These things together will reduce fear hate, incompetency, and abuse of power. They will increase integrity and mutual respect resulting in a safer environment for all.